Is it possible to get rid of used hearing aids? The answer is always the same whether you choose to update to a more advanced model like cochlear implants or you got them from a deceased relative: your used hearing aids should be donated instead of getting rid of.
There are a lot of people dealing with loss of hearing who could use a donated hearing aid, and a few organizations out there that collect and distribute those hearing aids to the people in need. Keep reading to discover how and why to donate pre-owned hearing aids.
Why You Should Look Into Donating Your Used Hearing Aids
- Of the overall population, about 14% have some kind of hearing loss
- 91% of adults who have loss of hearing are above the age of 50
- There is evidence of hearing loss in 15% of school aged children
- Approximately 29 million adults with hearing loss can benefit from hearing aids, but…
- …hearing aids are actually utilized by only 16% (4.6 million) of them
- First time hearing aid users have an average age of 70, but again…
- Fewer than 30% of those over 70 who require hearing aids have ever used them
I think we should be worried. Because neglected hearing loss has been connected to multiple health issues from an increased risk of falling to cognitive decline and depression. The relevance of your hearing to your overall health is supported by new studies coming out regularly. Getting hearing aids can prevent these health issues (and in certain cases even reverse them).
And loss of hearing will cost the average family up to $12,000 every year which should be an extremely compelling fact. But hearing aids can actually reduce that cost by up to 50%.
It may not be possible for families who lose $12,000 a year to afford hearing aids.
For a person in need, who can’t afford a hearing aid, your old hearing aids can have a big effect on their financial well being, quality of life, and health. It could also cost a child the ability to get into college and make their lives better because they can’t hear in school.
How to Donate Your Used Hearing Aid
Old hearing aids are recycled and dispensed by numerous manufacturers and volunteer organizations. Come by and we can help you find a recycling strategy. Or give us a call.